Monday 4 March 2013

Gestational Diabetes

So I have been diagnosed again with Gestational Diabetes (GD).  They did a test at 13 weeks and it came back that my sugars were elevated....is it full blown GD, no, but it's there, and it's lingering and I am doing everything I can to control it with diet!  So far it's been good.

We try to live a mostly gluten free lifestyle and it seems to be helping. I follow my diet that's been given to me by the dietitian - maybe not 100%, but pretty darn close.  My sugars are always good, and if I eat something that really, I just shouldn't be eating regardless of having GD or not, my sugars are a bit high - a bit meaning my sugar should read under 7 and it's at 7.2.

My last appointment was cancelled so I haven't seen the Endocrinologist for about a month.  I see him tomorrow and he can go through my readings.  I think it was more of a learning process doing it on my own.  For example...
I know I have to eat something before bed in order for sugars to be where he wants them to be (under 5).

I know if I choose rice over breads my sugars are levelled.

I know for my "first breakfast" I cannot eat any carb whatsoever.  If I do this then my sugars are pretty much level for the rest of my day.

It's crappy, but at the same time it keeps me in check.  At my last appointment I only gained 1/2 a pound.  So in 18 weeks, I have gained 5 lbs.  I am on an exercise program created by my trainer so it's helping me to lose weight while I gain baby.  Since I'm a bit overweight, and I have GD, weight loss is not looked upon as being bad.  And it will keep the sugars in check.

With my last pregnancy I was put on insulin and hooked up to all sorts of IV's during labour.  Since I am planning a natural birth (again!) , the less I am hooked up to the better! And the better controlled it is, the less chance for intervention and induction.

Since I don't have photos that relate to GD, here is a pic of Ethan :)

Sorry Guys - Can't get a NORMAL photo of him, so I guess these are the new norm!




2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about your GD hope that it goes better this time around and congrats on your second pregnancy. hope that it goes well. I'm just now getting back in the swing of reading blogs again :) Ethan is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.johnsonsbabyme.com/en/mums-to-be#guide-to-the-first-10-days
    Becoming a mum is a wonderful experience, but we understand that it does mean some big changes, and that there is a lot to take in. To help, we’ve put together a short guide, so you can get to grips with the basics you’ll need for the first 10 days with your new arrival.
    Holding
    Top & Tailing
    Nappy change
    Comforting
    Baby Massage
    Feeding
    Taking temperature

    ReplyDelete