Wednesday 7 December 2011

Introducing.......

Ethan Alexander Dufour!!  He is here.  Weighing in at a whopping 8.1 lbs born December 3rd at 4:36 pm.

I was going to write about my labour, but decided that it is not something that everyone would want to read about.  I'll briefly go through what I went through.

I started on Friday morning at 3:00am.  I was having contractions that didn't feel like the ones I usually had.  I timed them and waited them out and decided that Ryan and I should go to the hospital.  We went to the hospital at 7:00am and they assessed me.  I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Not bad.  I decided that I wanted to go home and labour at home for a while.

At home, we were breathing through contractions and we had a friend come over to help out with them.  We went for a couple long walks, I took hot showers and bounced on the exercise ball.  This continued until 6pm.  We went to the hospital and they assessed me.  I dilated another centimeter and was a bit more effaced.  We got a room at 11pm so before that we laboured in the triage area and walked around a lot.

Once in the room, the nurse assessed me and I was 4-5 cm dilated.  The doctor came in, said I was only 3 cm and said I need Oxytocin to get things progressing.  I mentioned that I did not want the drug, and the Doctor's horrible bedside manners came out, basically saying that I would end up with a C section.  I just have to say that Ryan was absolutely amazing and was a great coach throughout the whole process.  I can't thank him enough (xoxo).




Long story short, I ended up with the Oxytocin and afterwards with an Epidural because I could not deal with the pain.

The rest of the story I will leave out.  If you would like to know I can tell you in person.  In the end, for the delivery, Ethan was born by a forced forceps delivery.  He came out beautiful with only a little bruise on the side of his face and a scratch on the top of his head - pretty good if I say so myself!

We were discharged the next night since everything was going well.

The next four days was very very tiring.  Ethan cried a lot and we just didn't know what was going on.  Nothing would soothe him, he stopped taking to the breast and we were all miserable - dogs included.

Had the Maternal/Newborn Clinic appointment today and ended up admitted in hospital.  Apparently Ethan was not getting any milk at all from me and was basically starving.  He lost over 13% of his body weight.  He was hooked up to an IV and is being bottle fed breast milk and topped up with formula if needed.








I'm sitting here with him right now.  He has been sleeping like a baby (literally) and content and happy and feeding sooooo well.  I had some guilty feelings, and still do, but I am so happy that he is doing so well and feeling better.  I can't wait to take him home and start again with our beautiful newborn baby boy :)





No comments:

Post a Comment