Monday 3 October 2011

And the Test Results Came in.....

So I failed my Glucose Tolerance test and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  At first I was upset but the more I read and researched about it, the less upset I got.  It's a complication and I'm now considered a high-risk pregnancy, but at the same time, it's the most common complication and is quite manageable.  As long as I follow the diet properly and if needed, take the insulin shots when I am supposed to, everything should run smoothly.  (it still sucks though!!)  I will be having many more doctors appointments (my OB, a dietitian and an endocrinologist).  Plus a bunch of ultrasounds to measure the size of the baby to see if he is growing to fast or not enough.  So I guess that's a positive that I get to see him a little more now before I meet him in person!! (I'm trying to find the positives here!)


Tomorrow I have an appointment with the dietitian at 1pm.  She is going to go through a meal plan and explain to me how to use the blood glucose monitor.  So the plan is to see if I can control my blood sugar with diet, and when I see the Endocrinologist, he will see how my sugars are doing and decide from there if I need insulin shots.

Wednesday I have my next OB appointment as well, and I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of information from him too.  Then Wednesday night we start our prenatal classes.  These ones are only 2 hours so I think Ryan will manage this one a bit better ;)


I can't believe I have only 10.5 weeks left until my due date! That is so exciting to me.  I'm 75% of the way there :)  Baby D is now constantly kicking me and getting a rib once in a while.  The other day it felt like a rib was out of place :s  He has also started to do this clawing thing that feels like he is scraping his fingers along my uterus.  I do not enjoy this feeling and kinda get grossed out when he does this lol.

I have been feeling very tired lately, but at the same time, I can't stop organizing.  I guess this has to do with 'nesting'.... but we will see because I thought the nesting phase came towards the end of pregnancy.   And on that note, it's time for bed for me!

I'll post how the dietitian visit, OB appointment and class went next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment